The Episcopal Church in Connecticut
St. John’s is part of the Episcopal Church in Connecticut (ECCT), which comprises about 60,000 people in 168 parishes. Together, we are a community devoted to participating in and understanding our roles in God’s mission. The Right Reverend Ian T. Douglas (Bishop Diocesan) and the Right Reverend Laura J. Ahrens (Bishop Suffragan) work in partnership with ECCT parishes as we seek to nurture our spiritual lives and share the good news of the Gospel in our communities.
History of the Episcopal Church in Connecticut
The Episcopal Church in Connecticut is the oldest organized diocese in The Episcopal Church. It formally began with the consecration of the Rt. Rev. Samuel Seabury as Bishop of Connecticut on November 14, 1784 in Aberdeen, Scotland. Bishop Seabury convened the first Convocation (Convention) the following year in Middletown, Connecticut.
2019 - There are two bishops serving the Episcopal Church in Connecticut. The bishop diocesan is the Rt. Rev. Ian T. Douglas Ph.D., elected in 2009 and consecrated in 2010. The Rt. Rev. Laura J. Ahrens, D.Min. is bishop suffragan and was elected in 2007. The bishops meet regularly and work together in a shared episcopal ministry. In addition, each has assigned responsibility for specific areas of ministry and specific organizations and networks. Read more